Preferred Name, Pronoun and Gender request


Northern Kentucky University developed a Name Change Request Form in Fall 2016 with the goal of creating a protocol to update a name change to a preferred name. The University allows a first/middle/self-selected name to be used by eligible students to indicate their preferred name to the university community regardless of legal name status.  The university defines the preferred name as the sole name that will be used for professional purposes at the university and limits this definition to first/middle/self-selected names. Legal last names cannot be changed with this form. 

Your preferred name will only be reflected within the following systems:

  • In your myNKU portal
  • On class rosters
  • On your AllCard
  • Email

Please Note: There will be a separate process form providing your name for your diploma at the time of degree completion in which the student will choose how their name will appear on the diploma. There will be a graduation application process for the diploma name. For more questions about diploma name change please contact the Registrar's Office at 859-572-5556 or

In addition to designating a preferred name, you can designate a gender marker that differs from your legal gender. The gender marker that you designate will be reflected in many University systems, but there may be other systems where the gender marker change is not possible.

According to GLAAD identities are acceptable in a gender identity listing.

Currently available gender markers:

  • Male
  • Female
  • Nonbinary/ENBY
  • Agender
  • Genderfluid
  • Prefer not to state

Currently available pronouns

  • He/Him/His
  • She/Her/Hers
  • They/Them/Theirs
  • She/They
  • He/They
  • They/She
  • They/He
  • Ze/Zir/Zirs
  • Prefer not to state

By submitting this request, I certify that I fully understand the purpose of this Preferred Name Change Request and understand the expectation outlined in this disclaimer. I understand that a new name is deemed as the sole name that will be used for professional purposes at Northern Kentucky University. Furthermore, I confirm that I am not requesting a new name to avoid any legal obligation or to misrepresent myself otherwise.

Who can request this service?

  • Students
Request Service


Service ID: 52488
Fri 8/26/22 8:29 AM
Fri 4/14/23 2:40 PM